Once again, the polls here will overlap those in round 1C. If you have not voted in round 1C yet, here's the link. With almost half of the polls finished for round 1, Noor leads our prediction contest with 15 points and a perfect record. Wow! Bradley and Amber Lacy are tied for second with only one miss. Awesome predicting all around! Over in the wish lists, Joanna and Maria Sol must be the happiest because most of their picks have made it into round 2. Just for the record, I am dead last in the wish list which makes this contest par the course. Ha! I'm loving all the good discussion though. A special thanks to everyone who pitched topics for the mini-contest. I am extremely grateful to you. We could still use some ideas though, so keep on brainstorming. I would love to have a list of about 20 topics so we have plenty in the future too. To ensure that every has a good time, please read the rules below. Happy voting!
2018 Character Cup Rules:
1. Don't take it seriously! Have fun. Discuss a lot. Play nice.
2. Focus on characters, not people. Talking about what you like and dislike about a character is encouraged. Going after actors or fans is not.
3. The aliens have not landed. There's no conspiracy here. I will do my very best to keep the contest running smoothly, but just like with the original rankings, I do make mistakes. I apologize in advance for any technical difficulties, spelling errors, and general absentmindedness. Let me know and I'll fix it.
4. Comments are life. As you anxiously await the return of your shows, why not distract yourself with a little TV Talk? Each day is a new topic so even if your favorites are out, you can still discuss. While this contest is just a silly piece of internet fluff, the conversation here dives deep, so jump on in.
5. Nuts and Bolts - All polls are active for about 24 hours. The winners advance to the next round. In the case of a tie, both characters go to the next round. New polls should go up every day and polls may sometimes overlap each other. Any questions? Ask away in the comments.
Homework - Mini-Contest Topics:
Along with the prediction contest and the TV Talk Topics, the Character Cup is also different from other contests at SpoilerTV because we do a second mini-contest once we get further in the Character Cup. Basically, I found that people were disengaging after their favorites were gone so I pick a topic and we run with it. So far, we have done Favorite TV Vehicle, Favorite Villain, and Favorite Theme Song. Before my computer crashed last summer, I had an awesome list of future topics provided by the SpoilerTV community. However, they are now lost to the abyss. So if you would like to have future mini-contests, leave some topic ideas in the comments below. I will take nominations for this year’s topic later in round 2.
TV Talk Topic:
It’s a Villain’s World
We’ve ranked our favorite characters overall. Now it’s the villains’ turn. Who would your top 4 villains be. What makes a villain memorable? What do your favorite villains have in common? Do you like shows to have one Big Bad throughout the series, season-long villains, or a bad guy of the week? How about redemption stories for villains, where the character becomes more heroic over the storyline? Do you like them? Which ones have worked particularly well? (Thanks to Kim C. and Ellys Cartin for the topic suggestion.)