Previously - Theo kills a chimera and ensures Stiles' silence by claiming to know Stiles accidentally killed Psycho, Hayden is a chimera, and Kira's inner kitsune is out of control. Shortest previouslies ever.
Meanwhile out in his car Parrish finds the Queen of Diamonds card and drifts into a totally inappropriate sex dream about Lydia, who turns into a burned monster. It's gross on so many levels and ends up with me throwing several socks and Parrish driving away. Malia hears him leave and goes to check it out, but ends up caught in 2 coyote traps that come out of the floor before being stabbed in the throat. Oh Hale no. You do NOT kill Malia! Good thing Lydia's season premiere foreshadowing and steampunk scientists entering the school make me think something is going on or else I would be rioting. Out in the hallway, Scott sees the leash dragging on the floor again and that can't be a good thing. Looks like he's back into his asthma-inducing dreams. He follows it to the science classroom, only to get stabbed in the chest by Kira with her currently missing sword belt. Not one for too little kill, Fox Kira also chokes him with the dog leash while reminding us that she is the messenger of death. Not cool, Hallucination Kira. Killing your boyfriend, even in his own head, is dodgy. And yes, this is definitely all in his head which is why Lydia's next. She sees Dead Tracey at the top of the stairs and as she's an idiot tonight, goes to meet her instead of returning to the locker room and bolting the door. Aye caramba, folks. Dead Tracey says she wants Lydia to scream, but really she wants to rip Lydia's tongue out. Why yes, this is the most disgusting and gross Teen Wolf ever and that includes dead Peter in season 2. Since Stiles can't be left out of the pain even if he's not with the group, Theo smells burning. Suddenly a flaming fist clocks Theo hard enough to spray Stiles with copious amounts of his blood and drags Theo from the Jeep before flipping the entire Jeep over onto its roof. An unbuckled Stiles lands hard, unconscious as Parrish sets the Jeep on fire and takes the corpse from the clinic.
fact that Liam and Hayden are missing. This plan went smashingly. Apparently the steampunk scientists need a werewolf blood donor to get Hayden to the next level. Liam lies on the floor with a tube running out his arm; Hayden is face down while a bald and grotesque head puts on the latest in steampunk fashion. As Liam yells for them to stop, Hayden's blood drips into a puddle at the scientist's feet. It's nasty but not as bad as Mama McCall's experience. As she opens her front door, she sees a dead chimera on her kitchen table with Kira's belt sword stuck through her. Welcome home, Beacon Hills style. I think it's takeout tonight.
(moment of silence) Again the odd numbered episodes are the best this season. Mostly it comes down to these being better paced with less filler. That's not to say that there wasn't filler because everything Mason and Screamer could totally be skipped. As for the freaking night club, well the less said the better for my blood pressure at this point. The pacing was odd because there was too little action but it still really worked. I love how Stiles and Theo's chats are segmented throughout even if I was originally concerned that Stiles is once again separated from the pack, a la season 4 Lydia. Surprisingly Stiles-Theo interactions became my favorite thing about the episode. The acting was superb and each segment had enough heart or surprise to keep me interested. I particularly loved the reveal that Theo was a psychopath well before the steampunk scientists turned him. That means no redemption arc and I am very good with that. There are too many characters already and Theo needs to go. While keeping Stiles and Scott apart irritates me, I do love Scott's character growth as a leader in this episode. I often criticize his too-naïve outlook but when he halts Liam's whining by telling him like it is, I cheered. I love how at first he says no one is bait but then reverses himself not 1 minute later. Someone does have to be the bait for them to get anywhere and I'm glad Scott realized it. This plan might have sucked but at least they tried something in full knowledge that if it went wrong something terrible could happen to Hayden. It was an adult leader decision that hopefully shows the first of many tough choices Scott will have to make as leader. It puts a tiny chink in his squeaky clean armor and makes him more interesting. I would like Teen Wolf to be slightly more like The 100. Not the desperately bleak outlook where there is never a good answer and all consequences are worse than the ones before. That's too depressing for Teen Wolf, but I would like to occasionally see times where there's no good choice but they have to make a decision and deal with the results. They're moving in the right direction with Scott here and with Stiles accidentally killing Psycho. This cast is ready for more challenging material and morally grey choices provide that. I don't want Scott to stop being the true hero nor do I want a Teen Wolf that loses its sense of humor but I think they can go deeper like they did in 3B and I'm looking forward to that happening.
Best Scene - Kira's mom comes out of nowhere to attack her and practice fighting
MVP - the directing with a variety of different shots that made it visually appealing (including the shot of Hayden through the puddle and the overhead shots during the Kira-Mama Fox fight
Best Character Interaction - Stiles and Theo (best acting of the night too)
Best Reaction - Hayden to Liam wolfing out
Best Action - Mama Fox vs. Kira
Best Career in Beacon Hills - mechanic, what with all the cars breaking down
Worst Radio Station Ever - 91.5, the steampunk scientist channel. It's all prognosis updates and weird bug noises all the time.
Biggest Aww Scene - Liam tells Hayden that she's just Hayden
Biggest Filler - Screamer and Mason
Biggest Mystery - since I've given up on ever finding out what the steampunk scientists want, I'm going with what the 115 Kira pinned to her headboard means
Biggest Shock - the traps coming out of the floor to pin down Malia
Least Helpful Foreign Language - Theo speaks Bug, which probably won't help his college admissions
Least Realistic Teens - the assortment of teens in the Beacon Hills library on a Saturday. Is there nothing to do in Beacon Hills that everyone decides to study?
Least Necessary Montage - Kira and Scott's greatest relationship hits
Least in Character - Lydia, who suddenly got so dumb that she didn't realize that using cell phone jammers would mean they couldn't use their cell phones
Most Effective Team - Sheriff and Mama McCall
Most Squicky (Always) - the Lydia-Parrish thing they are pushing
Most in Need of an Arsonist - me to burn that freaking club to ashes and never go back to it again
Most Improved - the music
Most Creepy - Kid Theo watching his sister die
The "Give Me a Break" Award - No way a high school library not run by Giles has that many old, leather-bound books. Plus miraculous healing does not go in the historical essays or poetry sections. Use a freaking shelf marker, folks. These books are badly misshelved and use a combination of Dewey and Library of Congress cataloging, which are not at all compatible. Let me guess. They laid off the librarians.
The "There's Still No Cone of Silence" Award - Scott and Stiles freely talk all things supernatural in the middle of the library like there's no one walking right behind them
The "Say What?" Award - How the heck old is Psycho? He was already driving a motorcycle at the time of his father's accident? I call shenanicanon because this is the only non-parent actor who actually looks younger than what he's supposed to be on this show.
1. Kira: "Mom, this isn't what I would call quality mother-daughter time." Mama Fox: "Kira, defend yourself."
2. Theo: "You still want to know why I haven't said anything to Scott?" Stiles: "Maybe." Theo: "You think I've got some kind of ulterior motive?" Stiles: "More than likely." Theo: "Would you believe me if I said all I want, all I've ever wanted, is for you guys to trust me?" Stiles: "Nope." Theo: "So you're here because you're never gonna trust me." Stiles: "Yep. Glad we had this talk."
3. Mama McCall: "You're not asking me to hand over medical files without a court order, are you?" Sheriff: "I would never ask you to do that." Mama McCall: "Good because they may take away this key card, which allows me access to medical records. Do you want to see how the key card works?" Sheriff: "I would love to see how the key card works." Mama McCall: "Follow me."
5. Theo: "You want to take shifts watching?" Stiles: "No. No, I want to spend some quality time with you."
6. Theo: "So what's the punishment for killing a chimera?" Stiles: "You get to spend 5 hours in the car with Theo Raeken. I think I know what my punishment is. I'm gonna lose my best friend. I'm gonna lose Scott."
7. Hayden: "I'm not like you. I wasn't bitten by a wolf. I was somebody's science experiment. This is so bizarre." Liam: "I know but you're gonna be okay. I promise." Hayden: "What am I?" Liam: "You're Hayden."
8. Theo: "Okay. Then here's my interpretation of what happened with you and Donovan. Not guilty. Did you feel bad about it? Not now. I mean right then, right when it happened. What were you thinking the moment you knew he was dead and there was no saving him?" Stiles: "One word - good."
9. Theo: "You know who you remind me of?" Stiles: "Theo, I don't care."
10. Theo: "It's the cannibal one, right?" Stiles: "Native American. It says that if you eat human flesh, your punishment was to turn into a creature who constantly craved it." Theo: "That's a pretty judgmental myth." Stiles: "Well I didn’t make it up." Theo: "What if it was the only way to survive. I mean you ever hear of the Donner party? I'm pretty sure they didn't turn into wendigos." Stiles: "Well they didn't live in Beacon Hills."
Screencaps by Teen Wolf Source, Forever Young Adult, Tumblr, Piclist, Entertain This, Teen Wolf Meta, Telefilm Addicted, TV Equals, Buzzfeed, Team TSD, and Tumblr.