Welcome back to the Character Cup. The rules will be posted throughout round 1 just in case people join in mid-contest. If you haven't already read them, please do. Round 1A just finished so congratulations to Samantha "Root" Groves, Olivia Dunham, Matt Murdock, Derek Shepherd, Athos, the Doctor, Kate Beckett, and Sherlock (Sherlock) for making it to round two. I'm sorry if your favorites did not make it but there's always next year. The closest fight was between Cookie Lyon (45%) and Derek Shepherd (55%), although Matt Murdock (57%) vs. Klaus Mikaelson (43%) and Athos (57%) vs. Olivia (43%) were close too. It was a great opening round.
Thanks to everyone who participated yesterday. Congratulations to Robert Fruin and Dawgfather who both have 100% correct in the prediction contest so far. Woo hoo! Nice going, guys. Fifteen people have one wrong with 23 people at minus 2. It is definitely still anyone's game. A link to the prediction bracket standings can be found below along with the Cup stats, which tends to be updated after every round instead of every day. As always if you have any questions, let me know in the comments and happy voting!
CC Facts and Stats - this is updated at the end of each round, not typically each day
Updated Embedded Bracket
Today's TV Talk Topic:
Non-Romantic Relationships (Friends) - I'll admit that I'm worried things will go off topic here so ground rules for this topic is NO SHIPPING comments. That leads to shipping and fandom wars and turns fun into irritation and hurt feelings. We don't want that but a lot of people wanted this topic. So, here goes….
Which TV character would you most want to be friends with and why? Who are your favorite non-romantic friends on TV? Are there any new shows that have done a great job with these? Are there any shows you watch specifically because of non-romantic friendships? Are there any characters you didn't think would be friends at first but have since become good buddies? What is your overall opinion on how Hollywood is approaching the subject of TV friendships, both male and female?
1. This is a Silly Internet Contest, Not the Fate of the Nations - This contest is meaningless. The results are meaningless. It will NOT change the fate of any TV show anywhere. Don't take it seriously. Have fun. Discuss a lot.
2. Focus on Characters, Not People - Anyone can vote however they want for whatever reason they want and anyone can give their opinion on a character, favorable or not. Talking negatively about a character is NOT the same as attacking their fans. Keep the conversation to the characters. If you don't like what someone says about your character, comment on what you love about them. You might get new people to try your show.
3. The Aliens Haven't Landed. There's No Conspiracy Here - I have no hidden agenda. Everything is placed in brackets based on the number of nominations and polls. If your character goes against a giant, it's not personal. Mine will too. There's also no secret underground of people cheating polls. No one gets paid for that so no one has time for that, especially since this contest means absolute squat. It's just for fun.
4. Leave Sour Grapes on the Vine - Yeah, it sucks when your favorite gets kicked off by a show you hate. Yep, the winning character will come from the most organized fandom that gets the word out the fastest. Them's the facts of life and the internet. It doesn't mean we can't still have fun. Don't dwell on past polls or vetch about life's unfairness and it will be more enjoyable.
5. It's Not 2048 and My Name's Not Dorian - I will do my very best to keep the contest running smoothly and let you know the approximate time each poll ends. However, I am human and occasionally do silly things like get the time zone changes wrong. Again see #3. Let me know and I'll fix it. I apologize in advance for any technical difficulties.
6. Comments are the Wellspring of Hiatus Life - Most of us anxiously await the return of our favorite shows. Why not distract yourself with a little TV Talk? Each day we have a new topic. Come join us because even if you have no one to vote for in the polls, you can still discuss. While this contest is just a silly piece of internet fluff, the conversation here goes deep so jump on in.
Nuts and Bolts:
1. All polls, even the final one, will be about 24 hours long. A new poll goes up every day unless something unforeseen happens so you always know when your favorites compete.
2. Everything is head-to-head competition unless there's a tie and then both go to the next round.
3. One vote per IP per poll.