Two weeks, 915 nominations, and over 65 prediction brackets later, it's time to start the 2015 Character Cup. Woo hoo! First thanks so much to everyone who helped get pictures so we could start using them this round instead of round 2. I really appreciate you guys. And now, on with the show. The goal of this contest is to pass the hiatus with great TV Talk and have a little fun so before you head straight to the polls, please take time to read over the rules.
1. This is a Silly Internet Contest, Not the Fate of the Nations - This contest is meaningless. The results are meaningless. It will NOT change the fate of any TV show anywhere. Don't take it seriously. Have fun. Discuss a lot.
2. Focus on Characters, Not People - Anyone can vote however they want for whatever reason they want and anyone can give their opinion on a character, favorable or not. Talking negatively about a character is NOT the same as attacking their fans. Keep the conversation to the characters. If you don't like what someone says about your character, comment on what you love about them. You might get new people to try your show.
3. The Aliens Haven't Landed. There's No Conspiracy Here - I have no hidden agenda. Everything is placed in brackets based on the number of nominations and polls. If your character goes against a giant, it's not personal. Mine will too. There's also no secret underground of people cheating polls. No one gets paid for that so no one has time for that, especially since this contest means absolute squat. It's just for fun.
4. Leave Sour Grapes on the Vine - Yeah, it sucks when your favorite gets kicked off by a show you hate. Yep, the winning character will come from the most organized fandom that gets the word out the fastest. Them's the facts of life and the internet. It doesn't mean we can't still have fun. Don't dwell on past polls or vetch about life's unfairness and it will be more enjoyable.
5. It's Not 2048 and My Name's Not Dorian - I will do my very best to keep the contest running smoothly and let you know the approximate time each poll ends. However, I am human and occasionally do silly things like get the time zone changes wrong. Again see #3. Let me know and I'll fix it. I apologize in advance for any technical difficulties.
6. Comments are the Wellspring of Hiatus Life - Most of us anxiously await the return of our favorite shows. Why not distract yourself with a little TV Talk? Each day we have a new topic. Come join us because even if you have no one to vote for in the polls, you can still discuss. While this contest is just a silly piece of internet fluff, the conversation here goes deep so jump on in.
Nuts and Bolts:
1. All polls, even the final one, will be about 24 hours long. A new poll goes up every day unless something unforeseen happens so you always know when your favorites compete.
2. Everything is head-to-head competition unless there's a tie and then both go to the next round.
3. One vote per IP per poll.
Today's TV Talk Topic:
There are a lot of awesome characters and unfortunately not all of them could get in. Below are the characters who just missed getting into the contest so it seems fair to begin our TV Talk by honoring them. Also, are there any shows you love that don't have a character representing them? This is a great time to talk about those shows that did not get a character into the Character Cup too. Who knows? Maybe you will get others to try your show so the character can get in next time.
Characters who just missed the cut-off: Jake Peralta (Brooklyn 99), Kiera Cameron (Continuum), Stella Gibson (The Fall), Mal Reynolds (Firefly), Rachel Berry (Glee), Jane Villaneuva (Jane the Virgin), Boyd Crowder (Justified), Michael Samuelle (La Femme Nikita), Tamsin (Lost Girl), Alex Vause (Orange is the New Black), Wolfgang Bogdanow and Nomi Marks (Sense8), Titus Andromedon (The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), and Lagertha (Vikings).
Shows with the most nominations that did not get into the contest: Sense8, Orange is the New Black, Black Sails, Friends, Lost Girl, American Horror Story, Chicago PD, Jane the Virgin, Justified, Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, Glee, The Last Ship, Brooklyn 99, Chicago Fire, Dominion, The Fall, Firefly, The Fosters, Galavant, The Good Wife, Gossip Girl, La Femme Nikita, The Middle, New Girl, Stargate SG-1, and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.
Ranking List Found Here