We're now halfway done with round 1 and so far there haven't been any big upsets, although Sherlock looked prized to take the round from Felicity in what would have been a bracket buster for most. Still in the last few hours, Felicity prevailed along with Bellamy Blake, Dana Scully, Jethro Gibbs, Michael Scofield, Sam Winchester, Peggy Carter, Lucy Preston, Jon Snow, Eliot Spencer, Meredith Gray, Captain Hook, Eleven, Liv Moore, and Jamie Fraser. Today we have a supersized poll set, given yesterday's was smaller. Also I have started running the stats so be sure to check out the stats link below if you're interested. In our Prediction Contest, both LBT Fan and Maria Sol have taken the early lead, missing only 1 poll so far each. Second Place is jammed though with 9 people having missed only 2 polls. Congratulations to all! Until next time, don't forget the TV Talk Topic. It should be a fun, light-hearted one today. Happy voting!
If you have already read the rules and how the Cup operates, please skip to the polls below. If not, to ensure that every has a good time, please read the rules below. While they are written to be less stuffy than rules usually are, it is important that everyone be kind and fair to make this the most fun for everyone. Rules will be posted throughout round 1 and then a link will be provided to them. There are also links below to the list of character rankings and official bracket. Once round 1 is over, I will hopefully be able to provide stats there as well. The daily TV Talk Topic will also be found above the polls each time.
Stats / Rankings / Bracket
2017 Character Cup Rules:
1. This is a Silly Internet Contest, Not the Fate of the Nations - This contest is meaningless. The results are meaningless. No one in TV cares who wins. It will NOT change the fate of any show anywhere. Don't take it seriously. Have fun. Discuss a lot.
2. Focus on Characters, Not People - Anyone can vote however they want for whatever reason they want and can give their opinion on a character, favorable or not. Talking negatively about a character is NOT the same as attacking fans or the actor. If you don't like what someone says about your character, tell what you love about them.
3. Cheaters Suck - There is nothing more frustrating then having a bunch of cheaters ruin the fun for everyone. Please remember that it is one vote per person per poll. Trying to circumvent that is cheating, plain and simple. It slows down the contest and makes people grumpy.
4. Leave Sour Grapes on the Vine - Yeah, it sucks when your favorite is kicked off by a character you hate. Yep, the winning character always comes from the quickest, most organized fandom. It doesn't mean we can't still have fun. Don't vetch about past polls or life's unfairness and it will be more enjoyable for everyone.
5. Surprise, No Westworld Plot Twists Here - I will do my very best to keep the contest running smoothly, but I'm only human. I apologize in advance for any technical difficulties, spelling errors, and general absentmindedness. Let me know and I'll fix it.
6. Comments are the Wellspring of Hiatus Life - As you anxiously await the return of your shows, why not distract yourself with a little TV Talk? Each day is a new topic so even if your favorites are out, you can still discuss. While this contest is just a silly piece of internet fluff, the conversation here dives deep so jump on in.
Nuts and Bolts:
1. All polls, even the final one, will be about 24 hours long. A new poll should go up every day with a short break between rounds after Round 3 to filter out any cheating.
2. Everything is head-to-head competition unless there's a tie and then both go to the next round.
3. One vote per person per poll. Please do not try to cheat the polls. Please do not encourage other people to try to cheat the polls. It's annoying, stupid, pointless, and wastes everyone's time. It makes you look bad. It makes your fandom look bad. It makes your character look bad. It makes your show look bad. Just don't.
Today's TV Talk Topic:
The Cheez-Whiz Factor - We all have shows we watch that others just groan at. What's your "guilty pleasure" that you don't feel guilty about watching? Which shows will you continue to watch no matter what? Which shows/genres do you stick with even if the writing gets super-cheesy? Which shows have iffy acting that you just can't stop watching? In essence, what makes an arguably "cheesy" show worth watching?