Monday, November 20, 2017
The Shannara Chronicles - 2.09 - Wilderun - Preview
Note: While Wednesday is another double header, this preview is specifically for the penultimate episode since no screener was released for the finale. Watch both episodes this Wednesday on Spike at 9/8 Central.
1. Allanon - Generally the Fortune Cookie King comes off a bit too cheesy for me, but he’s doing his best Gandalf impression here. From protecting Mareth to encouraging Wil to espousing the virtues of love, Allanon is quite the surprise when he thinks he’s going to die. Even Wil is taken aback by this new side of him. Who is this guy?
2. It’s Full Steam Ahead - While the deaths have been excessive this season, it has trimmed the fat of the story. By eliminating the subplots, all the heavy hitters are in the same place and ready for the battle of their lives. That allows for better character interaction and a streamlined plot, which probably needed to happen a few episodes ago to be frank.
4. Riga is finally dead!!!! - Yes, this technically happened last episode but I felt a vicarious thrill at how shabbily they treat his corpse. Serves him right for plunking Ander off the dam. Karma!
2. Planning / Plotting - Let’s face it. No character on this show is going to win any strategy awards. It’s like they refuse to consider the consequences of their choices and just go with whatever idea is most likely to fail. Worse though is that the audience knows exactly where every aspect of this plot is going from the start. While it is entertaining, there are no major surprises in this episode, which is a shame for the second to last time we will probably be with these characters,
3. Exposition - Everyone gets a monologue or pep talk tonight. While some like Jax’s are rallying, the sheer number of them drags down the momentum.
Best Action - Al vs. Al sword fight
Best Speech - Jax’s “Unite or Die” speech
Best Character Interaction - Wil and Allanon
Best Aim - Jax when rescuing…..
Best Accessory - Lyria’s necklace
Best Line - “I’m okay.” “Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s not what okay looks like.”
Biggest Awww Moment - Allanon and Wil hug
Biggest Creeper - the Warlock Lord who keeps invading Eretria’s mind
Biggest Surprise - wedding proposal
Biggest Idiot - Bandon, like usual
Biggest Genius - Cogline
Biggest Eye Roll - every time someone rails against their destiny or storms off
Biggest About Face - Allanon playing father
Biggest Laugh - the Star Wars-ish music playing in the background when the Warlock Lord monologues about the darkness
“I asked you how to fight this, not how to accept it.”
“I don’t care who you look like. Nobody messes with my family.”
“In my experience, runaway princesses don’t usually like too many questions.”
“Magic and science, reunited again.”
“Sometimes our fate chooses us instead.”
“You are the strongest person I’ve ever met. You can beat this.”